According to the American Water Works Association (AWWA), the U.S. will need to invest $1 trillion dollars by 2035 into the drinking water infrastructure. The AWWA just released a comprehensive report, Buried No Longer: Confronting America’s Infrastructure Challenge, detailing the reasoning such a large investment is required.
- Over 1,000,000 miles of buried water pipe
- Need for expansion of water systems and repair/replacement of existing systems roughly equal
- Total aggregate replacement value for all U.S. water pipes over $2 trillion
- Smaller water systems predicted to have higher costs than large systems
- Transition from debt financing to pay-as-you-go
- Currently $13 billion spent annually on buried water infrastructure
- Over $30 billion annually required by 2040